CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 9, 2010

word families



I'm already in the process of making things to use with Gracelyn next year. My mother in-law got us some great word family readers and I made a word family game to go along with each book. I will focus on one word family at a time and offer a few different activities for her in her workbox.



materials -
wordfamilies.docx - copy the beginning letters on a color and copy the endings on another color, cut and laminate for durability
velcro dots (have I mentioned that I love velcro dots?)



educational benefits -
1. teaches word chuncks so they don't have to sound out each letter
for example: cap - sound out the c and add the chunk ap forming cap

2. encourages children to find patterns in words

3. helps with teaching spelling
for example: if the child knows how to spell cap, they will only have to replace the first letter to spell tap

learning styles -
visual (the chunk is one color and the beginning letter(s) are on another color
tactile

3 comments:

Smileyhappychan said...

Thanks for the great resource! I'm excited to try this with my daughter.

Jackie said...

Where did your mother get the readers. They are pre order on amazon's site.

Mary said...

I found your blog through 1+1+1=1 Word Play link. I love the ideas you have. I just bookmarked your blog.